Raw liver is a natural detoxifier packed with vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients beneficial to one’s health. Raw liver is highly perishable like other raw meat and needs correct care. The question crops up, how long can you keep raw liver in the fridge?
The raw liver must be refrigerated within 24 hours of purchase to maintain freshness. You may also ask, does beef liver and other organ meats follow the same pattern as chicken liver when properly stored?
In our guide, you can learn more about how long can you keep liver in the fridge, how to store liver properly, and more. By the end, if you love cooking, you’ll see the answers to this, and can you freeze liver pieces to keep them for later? (Learn How Long Do Marinated Artichokes Last In The Fridge)
How Long Is Raw Liver Good In The Fridge?
Raw liver of any kind, whether chicken or beef, should only be kept in the fridge for two days at most.
The same can be said for the raw liver that has been thawed.
It must, however, be stored properly in its packaging or an airtight container at temperatures below 40 degrees Fahrenheit (4 degrees Celsius).
Refrigerator Storage of Meats
The following table gives an estimated shelf-life of days in the fridge or freezer for meat and meat products.
|Meats||Refrigerator 35-40°F||Freezer 0°F|
|Raw roasts, steaks, chops, or smoked||3-5 days||4-12 months|
|Raw livers, raw heart, raw kidneys, & variety meats||1-2 days||3-4 months|
|Raw ground meat||1-2 days||3-4 months|
|Sliced bacon||3-5 days when opened or 2 weeks if the pack is unopened||1 month|
|Cooked leftovers, and cooked meats||3-4 days||2-3 months|
Poultry Refrigerator Storage
The following shows the estimated shelf-life for poultry or related products in your fridge and freezer.
|Poultry||Refrigerator 35-40°F||In Freezer 0°F|
|Fresh poultry||1-2 days||9-12 months|
|Cooked poultry, leftovers||3-4 days or 1-2 days if in gravy or broth||4-6 months|
Fish Refrigerator Storage
The following shows the estimated shelf-life of fish and seafood for fridge and freezer storage.
|Fish||On Refrigerator 35-40°F||In Freezer 0°F|
|Fresh fish||1-2 days. Keep raw shellfish to be eaten for just a few hours.||2- months|
|Cooked fish||3-4 days||4-6 months|
|Fresh shrimp, prawns, crawfish, scallops and squid||1-2 days||3-6 months|
While storing raw liver in your refrigerator, be wary of the following:
- First, make sure you use an airtight container.
- Keep the lid closed to avoid moisture inside.
- Store raw liver in a low humidity area.
- Don’t store liver near strong-smelling goods.
- Finally, keep the liver away from direct sunlight.
How Do You Know If Your Liver Is Spoiled?
When you want to know how long does beef liver or chicken liver in the fridge last, it helps to know the signs it has gone bad to avoid food poisoning.
Inspecting and smelling raw liver is the best and easiest way to tell if it has gone bad.
It has gone bad if it smells sour, or if the color of the liver has turned or it has a slimy texture, it has gone bad and should be discarded.
Can You Freeze Beef Liver?
It’s vital to note that the following guidelines apply to many types of liver meat, including chicken liver, beef liver, pork liver, and other varieties.
You can freeze any liver without worrying about the taste or nutritional content of the meat being ruined.
For best results, store liver in the unopened package. It can be frozen and thawed in this pack.
You won’t be able to tell the difference between cooked fresh and frozen liver once it’s been cooked.
The flavor and texture of reheated liver will be significantly worse. Because of this, liver should only be cooked once from raw. Any excess meat should be frozen in a fresh state.
Sautéed chicken liver should not be cooked twice, before and after freezing. This will cause a bitter taste and a rubbery texture. (Learn How Long Do Deviled Eggs Stay Good In The Fridge)
How Do I Freeze Liver?
It is pretty simple and quick to prepare liver for freezer. All you need is a few containers, freezer bags, paper towels, and some freezer space.
1. Drain the liver of excess liquids.
- Place your liver on paper towels and pat dry to absorb the excess moisture.
- Cut your liver into portions to cover several meals rather than one large block.
2. Pack your frozen livers.
- Freezer bags or airtight containers are advised for storing liver for freezer. You can use even the unopened containers in which the liver is packaged.
- You can wrap these in foil and plastic wrap to offer more protection.
- If you don’t have a lot of freezer space, bags may be a better option than airtight containers. Squeeze out any trapped air before sealing a freezer bag.
Toss your liver in the freezer.
How Do I Defrost Frozen Liver?
It is a simple process to thaw frozen livers.
- Place your frozen liver in a freezer bag or container in the fridge. Then let it sit overnight to thaw slowly.
- If you need to thaw frozen liver quickly, submerge the freezer bag in a large bowl of lukewarm water.
- This approach should thoroughly defrost the liver in 3 to 6 hours.
- You’ll find refrigerator-thawed beef liver last an additional 1 to 2 days before cooking.
- Beef liver should be cooked immediately if thawed in the microwave or in cold water.
How Long Does Chopped Liver Last In The Refrigerator?
If you make too much, you’ll want to know, how long does cooked liver last in the fridge?
According to the FDA refrigerator & freezer recommendations, you can store cooked chicken liver in your fridge for three days, but not over four days since the day you cooked the meat.
It would help if you keep your fridge temperature at 40°F (4°C) or lower for the cooked beef liver or cooked chicken liver to last in the fridge.
If you want to know how long can you keep raw chicken livers besides cooked chicken liver? These only last in the fridge for 24 to 48 hours if the temperature is below 40°F (4°C).
If the chicken liver has been in your fridge for over two days, chances are, it has spoiled. Carry out a chicken liver sniff test to be sure.
If you detect an ammonia-like odor, throw your raw chicken livers and replace them with a new package.
Rather than knowing how long it will last in the fridge, it is easier to freeze raw chicken liver as soon as you buy it to maintain it at peak quality. (Learn How Long Does Tuna Salad Last In Fridge)
How to use frozen and thawed livers?
Fresh or frozen livers can be used in the same way. Cooked liver with sauteed onions is the easiest and most beginner-friendly way to prepare liver.
In less than 30 minutes, you can have this dinner on the table. Defrosted livers in meals such as pâtés, stews, or fried chicken livers is an excellent way to use it and benefit from the livers’ nutritional value.
Chicken Liver Storage Tips
- When storing chicken liver, you may have observed certain temperature similarities.
- If you’re storing raw or cooked chicken livers in the fridge, ensure the temperature is below 40°F (4°C) to ensure optimal freshness.
- If you’re storing chicken livers in the freezer, ensure it’s set to 32°F (0°C) or lower.
- A fridge is the best way to keep fresh chicken livers. Cook your chicken livers as soon as fresh after acquiring them, which should be within 1-2 days.
- Cook only enough food to eat for your family for the next few evenings.
- Do not cook too many chicken livers to where you must discard cooked livers because they don’t last in the fridge, or you need to freeze livers to keep them fresh until you are ready to eat them again.
- Prepare for a drastically distinct taste and texture if you freeze cooked chicken livers, and they may not be as tasty as when they were freshly cooked.
- Drain the extra moisture from your chicken livers before you freeze raw liver by placing it in a strainer and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Divide the chicken livers into freezer bags according to the number of servings you’ll need for your upcoming dinners. After completing these processes, you can place them in the freezer.
How To Freeze Chicken Livers?
When you freeze raw chicken liver, the quality of the chicken livers may not be as tasty as cooking fresh chicken liver.
Raw chicken livers can be frozen at 32°F (0°C) or lower in your freezer to remain safe before cooking later.
It will be safe to eat, but you may need to season it with herbs and seasonings to make it taste better after you freeze chicken liver.
Cooked chicken livers should be frozen by day two to keep them fresh if you will not consume them the next day.